Saturday, March 31, 2012

In need of a GNO, stat.

I’m generally a happy camper.  I love everything about my life – my husband, my children, my family, my dog, everything – but sometimes, I get a little down in the dumps when I realize that I have a really small network here in Columbia.  By network, I mean friends that I can call up and say “I have a moment to myself!  Let’s go do something.” 

It reminds me of how I felt when I moved to Richmond after college…  I had an outside sales position, an extremely large territory, and a boyfriend who lived in another state.  Other than little Jaxx - who was adopted in place of a roommate - I was ALONE.  And it was mighty depressing.  I traveled every day and didn’t work in an office environment, so meeting people was a tad difficult.  I came across plenty of middle-aged men (I was a Black & Decker rep if that tells you anything), but those of the “young professional” variety were hard to come by.  Eventually I met Lucy as I was roaming through Bassett Furniture, and as it turned out, I got both a couch and a friend that day.  She had just moved up from Mississippi and didn’t know a soul, so it didn’t take us long to become bff’s.  Although I’d finally found my saving grace in the companionship department, I couldn’t help but jump on the first promotion that crossed my path.  When my one year as a Virginian came to a close, I high-tailed it out of there and ran at lightning speed toward Atlanta, psyched to be closer to friends and social life once again.

Not that I’m in the same predicament exactly, but it’s a similar situation. When we moved here I knew it would be difficult to make new friends, particularly because I’m not working and I’m a mom of two toddlers.  The opportunities to get out and about are few and far between, but despite that, I’ve still managed to find a couple great girlfriends.  The problem lies in the fact that often, Nathan gives me the go-ahead to get out of the house for a few hours and let loose sans-toddlers… but more often than not, those friends are usually tied up with work or their own families.  What can I say?  It’s just harder when you’re a mom, and even harder if you don’t have a big circle of friends where you are

As I sat on the couch and searched through my contact list last night (Nathan had to get some sleep due to the early morning shift), I reflected on how much I actually do miss living in Greenville and being surrounded by so many great girls.  Some are childhood friends and some became fast friends through work, but at the end of the day, I can count on each one when I need them. 

CollagesPictures

Hey girls, you know that ambiguous facebook status from last night?  Let’s make something happen SOON, ok?!  Looking through these pictures makes me miss every one of you!

3 comments:

  1. love these and miss you!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish you were closer...im sure we could throw a few back talking toddler! Christy

    ReplyDelete